Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Presidential material

I’ll confess it – I freaking love Commander-in-Chief. At first I resisted the idea of Geena Davis as president, even becoming the leader due to the death of a president. But the first night it was on, I watched as I was folding piles of laundry, and I was hooked from the premiere episode.
It isn’t as dark as The West Wing, and it’s not too realistic. Too many neat, happy endings, and c’mon: I’ll buy into a woman getting elected vice-president WAY before I’ll buy into an independent getting elected VP. But I like the show. Maggie liked Geena Davis, too; when I saw that it was coming on I felt as though I owed it to her to give it a chance.
Also, something in the way this president expresses herself reminds me of Maggie, and it is familiar having President Mackenzie Allen in the living room (though Maggie’s temper was way worse than President Allen’s is).
Still, I would have voted for Maggie for president, and not because she was so hot.
I was reading this, I dunno, article in one of Maggie’s big binders on a history class she was teaching in the homeschool co-op on Imperial Rome and in it she wrote:

The collapse of Rome was not so much due to invasion, immigration, or political upheaval as it was due to a slow, gradual change of philosophy on the part of its citizenry. This change was incomplete; Europe and the West still have reminders of its pagan past. Paganism was slowly replaced by a modified pantheism disguised as a spiritual Messiah myth; in terms recognizable both to the (Hellenized Semitic) Greek-taught Aramaic-speaking peoples who believed in one god of the Eastern provinces, and to their counterparts of the West, this idea had God the Father, Christ the offspring, the Word, the Spirit, and various sanctified, almost deified saints to whom they could pray.

The weak nations are always conquered from outside by the strong nations; the strong empires are conquered from within, by the people they attempted to conquer and assimilate; this always happens and always will. This is the balance of political nature.

This is a class for five- to eight-year-olds – taught by an art history major. God, it sucks that she died.

No comments: