Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Clearing for Action

I don’t mind the world going to hell in a bucket, but I’d like my own bucket to go in.

Here come the winds, they say.
At 10 AM CDT… 1500Z… the eye of Hurricane Rita was located near latitude 24.3 north… longitude 85.9 west or about 260 miles… west of Key West Florida and about 755 miles east-southeast of Corpus Christi Texas.
Rita looks bigger than Katrina and this time they are looking at Galveston TX or Freeport TX for a landfall.
Location           A  B  C  D  E
Galveston TX       X  1  9  6 16
Freeport TX        X  1 10  6 17
Port OConnor TX    X  1 11  5 17
Corpus Christi TX  X  1  9  6 16
Brownsville TX     X  2  9  5 16
A is % probability from now to 7AM Thu
B From 7AM Thu to 7PM Thu
C From 7PM Thu to 7AM Fri
D From 7AM Fri to 7AM Sat
E Is Total Probability from Now To 7AM Sat
X Means Less than One Percent
Katrina evacuees who are staying in Houston are bugging out. CM, my online friend who (I think) lives in Houston sent me a PM that said she was probably bugging out.
My dad wants me to come home but I think I will stay with this family. I think I’ll likely be needed here.
I’m putting together an evac list and gathering up what we need, and putting it all into boxes:
  • 3- to 5-day supply of canned and other non-perishable foods that we can eat cold
  • 3- to 5-day supply of water (½ gallon of water per person per day)
  • Alcohol-based hand sanitizer
  • Any unfilled written prescriptions
  • Battery operated radio
  • Birth certificates
  • Bottled water
  • Can opener
  • Crackers, peanut butter, etc
  • Diapers and sanitary pads
  • Disposable cleaning cloths or wipes
  • Driver license or other photo ID
  • Extra batteries for cell phones
  • Extra batteries
  • Extra clothing
  • Extra eyeglasses, contacts and solutions
  • First aid kit
  • Flashlights
  • Fruits and vegetables
  • Health insurance cards and policies
  • Ice and ice chests
  • Immunization records for children and adults
  • List of medications taken by family members
  • Manual can opener
  • Matches
  • Medications
  • Prescription medications and containers
  • Sleeping bags or blankets, sheets, pillows
  • Soap, toothpaste, tissue and other personal hygiene supplies
  • Social Security cards
  • Toilet paper
  • Votive candles
  • Water-purifier, such as unscented chlorine bleach or iodine tables
  • Ziploc bags (matches, toilet paper and extra clothing in these bags to keep them dry)
Pray for the world.

No comments: